APPLY for ADMISSION    |   MyMERCER    |   

Frequently Asked Transfer Questions

Select the question to find the answer.

For more information, e-mail or call (609) 586-4800, ext. 3307.

When should I start to plan for transfer to a four-year college?

From the very first day you start at Mercer County Community College, you should be thinking about what you plan to do next. Since you plan to earn a four-year degree, be sure you're in a program that will allow you to transfer. Take courses that are considered appropriate to the freshman or sophomore years at another institution. Talk to your counselor, advisor, or anyone else who can provide you with accurate transfer information.

Even before you complete your first semester, make contact with the colleges and universities you think you might like to attend after you graduate from Mercer. Get their catalogs and check their websites. Both will be very helpful to you in planning your course selection at Mercer.

Use the Transfer Timetable and the Transfer Checklist.

More information:
College selection on the Internet
Links to New Jersey colleges and universities
NJ Transfer website (transferring to New Jersey colleges and universities)

What steps should I take?

Some steps to take include:

Some questions to help in your college search

What kind of degree is most likely to transfer?

In general, A.A., A.S. and A.F.A. degrees are designed to transfer. An A.A.S. degree will transfer, but you need to choose carefully.

More information:
Mercer's degrees
NJ Transfer website (transferring to New Jersey colleges and universities)
Transferring to Rutgers University

What resources are available?

Online search
Peterson's CollegeQuest
Links to NJ colleges and universities
Links to other resources
NJ Transfer website (transferring to New Jersey colleges and universities)

Reference guides (in SC229)

When should I transfer?

The best time to transfer is after your graduate or after you complete the requirements for an associate degree. Students who complete A.A. or A.S. programs are generally given priority for admission to four-year colleges, especially most public and many private four-year colleges in New Jersey. Completing your associate degree may help to assure that you have junior status at four-year institutions and that your general education requirements are accepted toward a baccalaureate degree.

In spite of the advantages earning a degree affords, some students transfer before they have completed all their degree requirements. This personal decision should be made based on all the information you've gathered and your judgment of what is best for you.

In any case, if you did not complete the high school courses required by the transfer college for admission, you should think seriously about staying longer at Mercer. You will have the chance to finish the courses you didn't have in high school before you attempt to transfer.

What grade point average do I need to transfer to a four-year college or university?

Most colleges require a minimum 2.0 GPA or a "C" average for transfer. Usually a 2.5 GPA or higher is preferable. Competitive programs such as accounting, business administration, computer science, education, and engineering may require a 3.0 or higher.

In order to transfer, you must be in good standing at Mercer and must have earned the minimum number of credits specified by your transfer college. To be considered a transfer student at most schools, you must have earned between 12 and 30 credits at Mercer County Community College.

What are articulation agreements?

Articulation agreements are formal agreements between Mercer and other colleges and universities. These agreements ensure that, if you successfully follow a prescribed program of study at Mercer, you will be able to transfer with full junior status. Some agreements detail exact course equivalencies while others are more general.

Along with that for Temple University (Philadelphia, PA), detailed program information about Mercer's agreements is available in SC229. Some colleges and universities, via the Internet, enable you to check which Mercer courses are equivalent to their courses.

What about applying for financial aid or scholarships?

Financial Aid:

Never assume that you don't qualify for financial aid. Family income is not the only thing that counts. Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be considered for federal and state sponsored assistance. Remember that some four-year colleges and universities have their own financial aid application forms that you also have to complete. If you are currently receiving financial aid and want to transfer your eligibility to a four-year college, be sure to e-mail or call the Financial Aid office at Mercer (609-586-4800 ext. 3210) AND contact the Financial Aid office at the college or university you plan to attend.


There are many transfer scholarships available. Some are designated for particular groups such as minorities, women, or engineers. Others are offered by four-year colleges and universities to high-achieving students. E-mail a transfer counselor at or the Financial Aid office at for more information about transfer scholarships. Additional resources for scholarship sources and insights include New Jersey Council of County Colleges, FastWEB Scholarship Search, and

Should I visit colleges?

If at all possible, take a trip to visit the colleges you have selected. Visits are very important because they provide first-hand information that you simply won't get by talking with people or looking in a catalog.

Try to devote a full day to visit any large campus. Take a tour. Talk to students, sit in on classes, look in at the dormitories and roam around the student center. Check out the town or community bordering the campus to see what services are available, especially if you plan to stay in a residence hall or apartment off campus.

Arrange in advance to meet with an admissions representative. For your meeting, bring along a student copy of your transcript and a Mercer catalog. Treat this meeting as if it were a job interview. Prepare yourself with appropriate questions. Dress neatly and remember that your reason for going to this interview is to convince people of your value to their institution.

What questions should I ask during my transfer interview?

The questions listed here are not the only questions you are likely to have, but they will get you started on formulating your own personal list. Think about the things that are important to you and add them.

  1. How many credits are likely to transfer?
  2. How many additional credits are required to earn the four-year degree? What grade point average is required?
  3. Do students earning a degree get job search assistance after graduation?
  4. What are the admissions requirements? Does a grade point average transfer, or do only the courses transfer?
  5. Do the college accept applications any time (rolling admissions) or only by a fixed deadline?
  6. Are high school grades and SAT scores considered?
  7. What about housing, athletics, support services, and student activities?
  8. Is credit granted for CLEP, life experience, or cooperative education?
  9. Are D grades accepted in transfer?
  10. How many transfer students are accepted each year?
  11. Are there special programs or registration dates for transfer students? Are there any programs not open to transfer students?
  12. What are the costs for tuition and room and board?
  13. What do you have to do to get financial aid?
  14. Are faculty readily available to meet with students?
  15. What tutoring assistance is available?
  16. How large are classes?
  17. How many students live on campus? Is on-campus housing available to transfer students? What opportunities are available for off-campus housing?
  18. Is parking available?

Some additional questions to ask during your visit

Where do most students transfer?

Where you transfer depends on personal preferences, program (major) availability, grade point average, and location. If you choose to stay close to home, our neighboring schools are:

Rider University

Located in Lawrence Township. Accepts applications for both fall and spring semesters. Early applications are encouraged. Rider University has two divisions: the Full-Time Division and Continuing Studies for students attending part-time.

Current application deadlines

Hint: Although for many years Rider University was known as a business school, the excellence of its liberal arts programs should not be overlooked. A dual admission agreement has been signed with Rider University.

Return to list

Rutgers, the State University

Located in New Brunswick. Applications are accepted for fall and spring by deadlines. Applicants are accepted after the priority deadline on a rolling basis (any time).

Current application deadlines

The university consists of several colleges: the College of Engineering, the College of Pharmacy, Cook College, Douglass College, Livingston College, Mason Gross School of the Arts, Rutgers College, and University College (for part-time and evening students). Admission is competitive to each of the colleges.

You can check your Mercer courses on the Rutgers ARTSYS website.

Hint: For some Rutgers University colleges, two years of algebra and one year of geometry are required, as well as two years of a foreign language. If these courses were not taken in high school, they may be made up in college.

Return to list

The College of New Jersey (TCNJ)

Located in Ewing Township. Applications are accepted for fall semester and on a limited basis for the spring semester.

Current application deadlines

The associate degree, A.A. or A.S., is preferred. All students are encouraged to apply. Admission to all programs is extremely competitive. A 3.0 is usually the minimum for admission to the college although some programs require higher.

You can check specific course equivalencies on this TCNJ webpage.

Hint: Apply early and do not miss the deadline as it is firm.

Return to list

Thomas Edison State College

Located in Trenton. Open to all regardless of age, residence or previous educational experience.

Current application deadlines

Students earn degrees by passing proficiency exams, through assessment of outside learning such as training in business, industry, and associations, and by transferring credits earned at traditional colleges or through correspondence or television courses.

Hint: Many Mercer students continue their education at Thomas Edison, especially those in the Aviation Flight Technology program.

Return to list

How can I appeal? (Transfer Appeals Process)

All problems relating to transfer/articulation issues should be brought first to the individual responsible for the disputed decision, usually at the four-year college. If you have reason to believe that you have not been treated fairly, we encourage you to meet with your transfer counselor at Mercer to discuss your situation. In most cases, a conference with the four-year college will resolve the problem.

What is Mercer's CEEB number? (requested on some application forms)

Some application forms for four-your colleges ask for the CEEB number of other colleges you have attended or are attending. Mercer's CEEB number is 2444.

Return to Transfer Homepage