MCCC Foundation > Scholarships
Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to basic questions about scholarships associated with the MCCC Foundation
are addressed below. If you would like additional information, please contact us
at (609) 570-3607, email@example.com,
or stop by our office, room 112 in the West Windsor campus Administration Building
(AD), 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Click on any question to view its corresponding answer:
Where do scholarships come from?
Individuals and businesses in the community make contributions to the MCCC Foundation to establish scholarships that support a special purpose, honor someone, recognize an achievement, or remember a loved one through a memorial fund.
Each year, the Foundation itself hosts two major fundraising events for student scholarships: the annual Spring Into Student Success! proceeds benefit the General Scholarship Fund, and the annual Golf Classic proceeds support athletic scholarships.
What scholarships are available?
The MCCC Foundation offers a variety of scholarships and awards that become available regularly. Our online MCCC Foundation Scholarships application manages all available Foundation scholarships. See "How to Apply" on the college's Scholarships page.
How do I apply for a scholarship?
Follow the steps under "How to Apply" on the college's Scholarships page, where you'll access our online MCCC Foundation Scholarships application. For further assistance, call (609) 570-3607 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is there a deadline for applying?
See here for the application period/deadlines to apply online for MCCC Foundation Scholarships -- different dates for New and Continuing students and Graduating students.
Scholarships are awarded throughout the application period, so it is wise to apply as early as possible.
Who decides the awarding of scholarships?
MCCC Foundation scholarships have review committees comprised of faculty, staff, and academic departments that score recipients' online application based on the scholarship criteria.
When and how will I be notified if selected for a scholarship?
If selected, Graduating Student Scholarship recipients will be notified by mid-May. All other scholarship recipients will be notified as awardees are selected.
When are financial awards allocated to students?
Scholarship awards for new and continuing students will apply toward the upcoming Fall and Spring semesters. Reallocations are made in January, provided the recipient continues to meet the specific scholarship criteria (achieving required grades, minimum credit enrollment, etc.).
Who should apply?
ALL students attending MCCC are encouraged to apply for scholarships.
What is a financial need-based scholarship?
Financial need for need-based scholarships must be evidenced through the FAFSA (Free Application or Federal Student Aid) process.
What is "enrollment status"?
To be considered for need-based scholarships, you should complete the FAFSA by April 1. You may apply online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The federal school code for Mercer is 002641. Remember to save your FAFSA confirmation page. You will need to upload it to your scholarship application.
Not all of our scholarships require a FAFSA. You can also explain financial need through your personal statement on your application
How can I increase my chances of being selected for a scholarship?
- Full-time: 12 or more credit hours per semester
- Part-time: 11 or fewer credit hours per semester
I already applied last year. Do I need to apply again?
- Volunteer and participate in extracurricular activities.
- Ask for assistance from MCCC's Learning Center and your professors to write strong application essys.
- Apply by the deadline
- Make sure your application is complete and meets all of the requirements.
Yes, you need to complete a new online application every awarding period. This will update your academic status in the system and match you to all scholarships you are eligible to receive.
I received a scholarship. What happens next?
How do I get my scholarship money?
- By the set deadline in their notification, all recipients are REQUIRED to submit a "thank you" letter for each scholarship awarded. Students who do not meet this requirement will forfeit their scholarship award(s). Instructions for your "thank you" letters are available on your MCCC AwardSpring Dashboard and will also be in your award email.
- By accepting a Fall scholarship you are making a commitment to attend the Honors Recognition Reception. This is an opportunity to meet your scholarship donor and express your appreciation in person.
- It is your responsibility to meet the required scholarship standards in order to maintain eligibility for the award.
What is the difference between a new, continuing, and graduating scholarship?
- Generally, Fall scholarship awards are disbursed in two equal payments directly to your MCCC student account upon Fall and Spring semester enrollment. It is your responsibility to meet the required scholarship standards in order to maintain eligibility for the award.
- Graduating scholarship recipients will receive a check with the scholarship award at Honors Convocation
- New scholarships are for new incoming students.
- Continuing scholarships are for current students who have previously earned credits at Mercer.
- Graduating scholarships are for students who are obtaining their Associate degree.