College Courses for High School Students
The MCCC Jump Start program opens an opportunity for high school students to take college courses and earn college credits. MCCC created the program at the request of students and parents.
View Brochure [PDF file]
Semesters start at the end of August, mid-January, the end of May and in early July.
Advisors are available to assist with course selection and registration. Call (609) 570-3795 or e-mail email@example.com.
How to Register
STEP 1: Online Application
STEP 2: Registration Form [PDF file]
Why Start College Before Finishing High School?
- Preview college courses to “get a feel” for what will be expected of you.
- Sample a specific subject to help you decide on a future college major or career.
- If you have completed your high school requirements early, why not use time wisely by working on your college transcript after school, online or on the weekends?
- Save on tuition costs by completing a semester, or even a year at Mercer, and having those credits transferred to your college of choice.
- Become familiar with difficult subject matter (calculus or physics) by auditing classes before attempting them in high school or college. This can boost your GPA.
- Rather than take AP courses and risk getting a low score, take classes at Mercer and then transfer the credits. Some students feel this is more of a "sure thing." College courses will transfer with a grade of "C" or better.
- Build your skills in certain academic areas, such as developmental reading, writing and math. You might even be able to take these classes to fulfill your high school graduation requirements.
- If you feel you can thrive in a college environment, try it.
How Does "Jump Start" Work?
- Take MCCC’s free college placement test. It takes less than two hours and in most cases you’ll receive the results before you leave the Testing Center. Call for an appointment.
- If you have scored at least 540 in English and 530 in the math portions of the SAT, you won’t need to take that portion of the placement test. Submit the documents that prove your scores.
- Complete the Jump Start Registration Form and have it signed by a parent or guardian. Deliver it, with your SAT or placement test scores, to MCCC’s Admissions Office. There you will meet with an advisor to register for day, evening or distance learning courses.
- You may pay your tuition monthly, without interest. Apply online, by telephone, or in-person at the MCCC Accounting Office.
- After you complete a course, you can look up your grade online at www.mccc.edu, or request an official transcript.
- All classes taken at MCCC will appear on your college transcript.