Insurance Company of Lawrenceville has donated a video documentary
for use in the classroom, entitled “Testimony of the Human
Spirit,” to the Mercer County Holocaust-Genocide Resource
Center, located in the library on the West Windsor campus of Mercer
County Community College, 1200 Old Trenton Road.
of the Westchester Holocaust Education Center in Purchase, NY,
“Testimony of the Spirit” is a broadcast-quality teaching
resource that examines the Holocaust through the eyes of six men
and women who were children or teenagers in Europe during the
rise and fall of the Third Reich. Written and directed by Sarah
Kate Robbins and narrated by the acclaimed actor Eli Wallach,
the material was specifically developed for use in middle schools,
high schools and college classrooms to increase students’
awareness of the importance of standing up to hatred.
The film is
divided into four “chapters”: indoctrination and discrimination
(1933-1939); persecution and segregation (1939-1942); genocide
(1942-1945); and liberation and beyond. Each chapter is presented
on separate 25- to 40-minute videocassettes. A teacher’s
guide accompanies the videos and includes materials such as an
historical overview of the Holocaust, user-friendly lesson plans,
vocabulary words, and suggested readings, videos and related websites.
County Holocaust-Genocide Resource Center, now in its second year,
houses books and technological aids to assist public and private
schools in planning courses of study on the Holocaust. The center
is a collaborative effort of Mercer County Community College,
the County of Mercer, and the New Jersey Commission on Holocaust
Education. It is open to the public every Wednesday from 4:30
p.m. to 7:30 p.m. “Testimony of the Human Spirit”
and other materials are available for borrowing by visiting the
center during those hours. For more information call (609) 586-4800,
ext. 3355 or ext. 3601.
Richard Perlman, left,recently presented a four-video documentary,
entitled “Testimony of the Human Spirit,” to MCCC
President Robert Rose for use in the Mercer County Holocaust-Genocide
Resource Center, housed in the college library.