Transfer Students' Rights and Responsibilities
Your rights include:
- Receiving complete information from colleges and universities about their transfer admission requirements, documents required for admission, and financial aid and scholarship policies, and transfer of courses.
- After official notification of acceptance, receiving written evaluation of courses accepted for transfer credit.
- Waiting to respond to an offer of admission and/or financial aid until you have heard from all colleges and universities to which you have applied or until May 1, whichever is earlier. Be sure to keep in touch with the colleges.
- If you think your rights as a transfer student have been denied, you should contact the college or university immediately to request additional information or the extension of a reply date. For further assistance, send a copy of any correspondence you have with the college or university and a copy of your letter of admission to:
Executive Director, NACAC
1800 Diagonal Road
Alexandria, VA 22314
Your responsibilities include:
- Being aware of transfer deadlines, restrictions, and other criteria.
- Completing all material that is required for application and submitting your application materials on or before deadlines.
- Notifying in writing each college or university that accepts you whether you are accepting or rejecting its offer and confirming in writing your intention to enroll. Submitting a deposit to only one college or university by its required notification date.
- Make copies for your file of all correspondence that you initiate, and record dates and conversations held with college officials.
Return to Transfer Homepage