Can I use an email client, such as Outlook Express, to read my Mercer email?
1. How do I get a Mercer email account?
You will automatically receive an email account when you register for credit classes at Mercer.
2. What features are available in the Mercer email system?
Web based access to email allows for easy access from any computer with internet access and a web browser. Integrated email features such as spell check, folder functionality and rule management, configurable email filters, incoming and outgoing virus scan, and an anti-spam mechanism. There is also an instant messaging window right in the email browser. There are no banners or advertisements. A full 7 Gigabits of storage allows you to store more messages and documents.
Google Calendar allows you to organize your schedule and share calendars with others including someone that has a non-Mercer Gmail account and calendar.
Google Documents allows you to store, access and share documents from anywhere with an internet connection.
3. When will my new email account be available?
Your new email account will be created in approximately 7 days after registration. Your username will be posted to your student portal account once created. Your account will remain active after each semester and will only expire after 4 consecutive spring and fall semesters in which you do not register for any credit classes.
4. How do I access my Mercer email account?
Mercer's student email is available from any place you have access to the Internet and a web browser. You can access your email from the My Mercer link on MCCC's Home Page at www.mccc.edu. You can also access mail by logging in through your student portal and following the provided email link, or by clicking here.
5. How do I find my user name and password for Mercer email?
Your account name is [Your Last Name][First Name Initial]@student.mccc.edu
EXAMPLE: John Smith = firstname.lastname@example.org
Students with identical names will have a number added to their e-mail address name. Log on to your student portal to ensure that you are using the correct e-mail address.
Your initial password is set to your birth date in yyyymmdd format. For example: February 13, 1980 would be 19800213.
6. Where can I get help using the Google Applications?
Go to the Google Apps Help Site for frequently asked questions that are updated daily by Google product experts, tutorial videos of key features, user interface screenshots, active discussion groups, and more.
In the unlikely event you are unable to find the information you need from Google's Help Site, you may submit a request.
7. What do I do if I am unable to log into my email account?
If you are unable to login to your new email account, submit a request to have your username verified and your password reset
8. Can I use any password I want?
Your initial password is set to your birth date in yyyymmdd format. For example: February 13, 1980 would be 19800213. You will select a new password when you first setup your email account. Your new password can be any combination of letters and numbers you like, but must be at least (6) characters in length.
9. What if I forget my password?
If you forget your password you can submit a request to have your password reset.
10. How do I use Gmail?
Google has provided Tutorials of the Gmail system with clear instructions and explanations of all the included features which are located on the web at Gmail Tour.
11. How long can I use my Mercer email account? Will I lose all of my email at the end of every semester?
All students who register for a credit class at MCCC are provided an e-mail account that will remain active after each semester. Your account will only expire after 4 consecutive spring and fall semesters in which you do not register for any credit classes.
12. Am I required to use my MercerMail account?
Utilizing your Mercer email account guarantees that you will receive notices and messages sent by the College.
It is up to the individual user to decide whether or not they would like to use the web interface through Google with all of the included features or simply forward mail sent to the account to a personal email account. If you prefer to forward your mail please refer to the instructions in this document.
13. Can I forward my Mercer email to my personal email account?
Gmail lets you automatically forward incoming mail to another address, if you'd like. Here's how:
- Log in to your Gmail account.
- Click Settings at the top of any Gmail page.
- Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab along the top of the Settings box.
- Enter the e-mail address to which you'd like your messages forwarded.
- Select the action you'd like your messages to take from the drop-down menu. You can choose to keep Gmail's copy of the message in your inbox, or you can send it automatically to All Mail (archive) or Trash.
- Click Save Changes.
You also can set up filters to forward messages that meet specific criteria. You can create 20 filters that forward to other addresses. You can maximize your filtered forwarding by combining filters that send to the same address
14. Can I use an email client, such as Outlook Express, to read my Mercer email?
You can set up your preferred email client to send and receive Mercer email. Please refer to Google's set up for IMAP if you prefer to check your email on multiple devices using an email client, or setup for POP mail.