Frequently Asked Questions
1. What contact information should I provide Mercer County Community College for M-Alert?
The MCCC M-Alert system stores up to 3 phone numbers for students and 4 phone numbers for faculty/staff -- including a cell phone number representing your text messaging device. The best emergency contact number is probably your mobile cell phone.
2. If I change cell phone providers but keep the same number, do I need to adjust my M-Alert contact information?
No. Once you have specified a particular phone number, it remains in the M-Alert system.
3. With a recorded voice call from MCCC M-Alert, the caller ID I see displayed is "609-570-3565." Who is this?
Whenever calling by M-Alert, MCCC will always display caller ID information. Please save this number on your cell phone as a contact (e.g., MCCC M-Alert) so that you can quickly recognize this number as the source of official incoming MCCC M-Alert calls.
4. I heard that my classmate received a voice message from MCCC M-Alert; but I did not. Why?
It is possible that we do not have your contact information loaded in the M-Alert system, or it may be inaccurate. Please contact Student Services at 609 570-3228. to verify your information.
5. I received an M-Alert message but missed the information. What should I do?
While on the call, you can replay the message by pressing the star key (*) at the end of the message. You may also check your e-mail to locate the link for that message.
6. I received an M-Alert message but it kept looping/repeating. Why?
The M-Alert system does its best to detect whether it has reached a live person or an answering machine. Sometimes loud ambient noises may cause the system to loop. If this happens, use the mute feature on your phone or move to a quieter location to prevent the message from looping or repeating.
7. I received an MCCC M-Alert message in my e-mail inbox, but when I clicked the link to play the message nothing happened. Why?
You may not have a default media player like Windows Media Player or Quicktime installed. Download one of these players from www.microsoft.com or www.apple.com and install it on your computer to listen to messages.
8. How do I begin to receive text messages from MCCC M-Alert?
You must provide a text-enabled phone number and carrier information (e.g., Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.) via the Student/Employee web portal.
9. What happens after I enter my cell phone information for text messaging via the Student/Employee web portal?
M-Alert will automatically send a text message to your cell phone. This occurs during business hours between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. PST.
10. What will the confirmation text message say?
[MCCC M-Alert]: You are now confirmed to receive alerts from us. More info text reply "HELP" or "STOP MALERT" to opt-out.
11. From what number will these text messages arrive from?
You will see "23177" as the 'sent from' number sending you the confirmation text message as well as all subsequent M-Alert messages. Please save this number on your cell phone as a contact (e.g., MCCC M-Alert) so that you can quickly recognize this number as the source of official MCCC M-Alert messages.
12. If I sign up at night, when will I receive the confirmation message?
Confirmation messages are sent during business hours (10 a.m. to 6 p.m. PST). Since we upload data into the M-Alert system Monday through Friday only, you should expect the confirmation request to arrive the following day.
13. I did not receive a confirmation message. What happened?
Please check with your cell phone provider to find out if your device accepts text messages. You may also want to check with your provider to see if text messaging has been enabled. You may need to subscribe to a text messaging plan in order to receive or reply to text messages.
14. I did not receive a confirmation message because my phone was not text enabled. I have since contacted my cell phone provider to enable it. Do I need another confirmation message sent?
No. If your text message-capable phone was already submitted to our database, you should be confirmed to receive text message alerts from us. However, you may also test to find out by texting the word "SUBSCRIBE" to 23177 and you will receive the following reply:
[MCCC M-Alert]: This phone number has already been opted in. More info text reply "HELP" or "STOP [MALERT]" to opt-out.
15. How do I discontinue receiving M-Alert text messages?
You may do so at any time by texting "STOP [MALERT]" or "QUIT [MALERT]" to 23177.
16. What if I chose to discontinue receiving M-Alert text messages but later decide to continue again?
You may request to begin receiving text messages by texting "SUBSCRIBE [MALERT]" to 23177.